Friday, November 8, 2013

                                    GARY ALLYN'S RADIOPINION

                                         SONG TITLE TITILLATION

Over the years there have been many stories of use, abuse and misuse of song titles on the part of

disc jockies and/or announcers on the air. A couple come to mind. When I was programming

KCBQ in San Diego, a bulletin came to the news department warranting an interruption of the

music format. It was the death of President Eisenhower. After the newsman finished his somber

delivery, our morning D.J. followed with: "I Wanna Live" by Glen Campbell.  Then there was

the tale of another tragic event that caused another news bulletin break into regular music pro-

gramming. Only this time it was an automated station. This time following the bulletin, was the

song: "Drop Kick Me Jesus Through The Goal Posts Of Life" by Bobby Bare. Again, while at

KCBQ, Robert L. Collins was doing afternoon drivetime. Bob loved taking song titles and turning

them in to double entendre. He would always say...."now Spanky and Our Gang Bang out another

hit"...Robert L. always cackled when he back announced the Stones hit "It's All Over Now" with:..

.."I used to love her but(t)..it's all over now"...Bob's other favorite was: " here's Janis Joplin with a

little Piece Of My Heart-on(hard on)-KCBQ". He always hit the post though. Always. Whether

unintentional or on purpose, they're funny 40 years later.  Back then, I wasn't too pleased. I imagine

many of you have some similar situations. If so, I'd love to hear about 'em.

All this brings me to a list of Top Ten Country Western song titles that was emailed to me.



Top Ten country song titles are:

10. I Hate Every Bone in Her Body But Mine
9. I Ain't Never Gone To Bed with an Ugly Woman But I Woke Up With A
Few
8. If The Phone Don't Ring, You'll Know It's Me
7. I've missed You, But My Aim's Improvin'
6. Wouldn't Take Her to A Dogfight 'Cause I'm Scared She'd Win
5. I'm So Miserable Without You It’s like You're Still Here
4. My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend and I Miss Him
3. She Took My Ring and Gave Me the Finger
2. She's Lookin' Better with Every Beer
And the Number One Country & Western song title is...

1.       It's Hard To Kiss The Lips At Night That Chewed My Ass All Day.

And my "favorite" I heard on a Texas station was: "Mother's not dead, she's just Sleepin' " by
the Louvin Bros. Only in this wonderful business called Radio can this happen. Love it!!

That's my RadiOpinion....what's yours? 




No comments: